All third through eighth grade students will be taking the New York State Assessments according to the following schedule:
Intermediate School Schedule:
- ELA will be administered on April 21
- Math will be administered on May 5
- Grade 4 Science will be administered on June 7
Commack Middle School Schedule:
- A Day Students will be administered on 4/21
- B Day Students will be administered on 4/22
- A Day Students will be administered on 5/5
- B Day Students will be administered on 5/6
- Grade 8 Science
- A Day Students will be administered on June 8
- B Day Students will be administered on June 7
Full Remote Learners:
- *For those students participating in the full remote program, arrangements will be made for in person administration only. More information will be provided.
As you know, in Commack, we respect the right of parents to choose whether they will allow their child to take the above-mentioned state tests. The decision to not allow participation in these tests is commonly known as “opting-out” of the test. To opt-out of state assessments, parents/guardians must simply notify the school in writing of their decision.
For the convenience of our families, we have provided the following three options for notifying the school of their decision to opt out for any of these assessments:
- Submit a letter to the school stating the child’s name, grade, teacher, and list the tests for which the child will opt-out. Return this letter to your child’s school.
- Complete the attached opt-out form and return this form to your child’s school.
- Complete an online opt-out form, which can be accessed using the Parent Portal (log into the parent portal: click on the message center and navigate to the survey tab)
Please note that if the school does not receive an opt-out notification in any of the forms mentioned above, your child will be administered the exam. A separate form or letter is required for each child.
Please notify us of your decision to opt-out as soon as possible.
The opt-out form will be available on the Parent Portal until March 19th for ELA and April 16th for Math and Science. You can send this form or letter in at any time, but it would assist the schools in planning for children who opt-out if we had these letters/forms back by March 26, 2021.
Should you need assistance with your Parent Portal account information, please contact [email protected].